West Columbia Homes for Sale
The charming community of West Columbia lies on the west side of the Congaree River, just 3 miles west of downtown Columbia. With easy access to downtown Columbia and a peaceful suburban lifestyle, it offers residents the best of both worlds. Besides providing scenic views of the river, the Riverwalk is an ideal place for trail running, biking, and leisurely strolls. There are also casual restaurants and entertainment venues within the community that offer a relaxing atmosphere.
West Columbia is an inviting place to live, boasting of high-ranking schools and the nearby University of South Carolina. Its idyllic small-town atmosphere is perfect for families of all sizes. The area's blend of historic buildings with modern conveniences creates a unique charm that beckons newcomers. The Gervais Street Bridge symbolizes the past and presents itself as it unites West Columbia with the state's capital city.
You may also want to check Cayce SC Homes for Sale.
West Columbia, SC Homes for Sale
West Columbia is a small town located just outside of Columbia, SC. With its cozy historic homes and close-knit community, it’s no wonder why West Columbia is such a desirable place to live. From waterfront properties with stunning views of the Congaree River to brand-new construction in the sought-after Brookland Creek neighborhood, there’s something here for everyone.
West Columbia is located in Lexington County, SC. The population was 14,988 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Lexington County and is part of the Columbia, SC metropolitan statistical area.
West Columbia lies west of downtown Columbia and is connected to it by Gervais Street and the Gervais Street Bridge. The Congaree River forms part of its western border with Cayce while its eastern border with Irmo is partially defined by Lake Murray. Originally developed as a cotton mill town during Reconstruction after the Civil War and into the early 20th century, much of West Columbia's growth since World War II has been residential as part of GreaterColumbia's suburban expansion.
Historical Facts of West Columbia, SC
The first European settlement in what is now West Columbia was made in 1732 when three families from Pennsylvania moved to the Dutch Fork area. In 1736, a courthouse was built on the banks of the Congaree River. The village that grew up around it was first known as Saxe Gotha, after two of the earliest settlers. In 1785, Saxe Gotha was chartered as a town and renamed West Columbia in 1911.
Things to Do in West Columbia
1. Explore Riverwalk Park - This scenic park offers a variety of outdoor activities, such as walking and biking trails, fishing, playgrounds, and picnic areas.
2. Visit the Columbia Museum of Art - This museum features an impressive collection of European and American art from the Renaissance to the present day.
3. Enjoy a Ride on the Three Rivers Greenway - This scenic 14-mile trail connects West Columbia to downtown Columbia and offers plenty of opportunities for biking, walking, jogging, and rollerblading.
4. Take in a Show at The Nickelodeon Theatre - This historic theatre hosts a variety of independent films, classic movies, and live music performances throughout the year.
5. Check Out EdVenture Children’s Museum - Kids of all ages will enjoy this interactive learning experience featuring hands-on exhibits about science and nature.
6. Spend an Afternoon at Congaree National Park - Get in touch with nature at this 26-square-mile national park located just outside West Columbia that features hiking trails, kayaking opportunities, and educational programs about the ecology of the area.
Buying West Columbia Real Estate
West Columbia is a great place to buy real estate. The homes in this area are very affordable, and there are many different types of properties to choose from. Whether you are looking for a starter home or a luxurious estate, you will be able to find it in West Columbia.
The city is located just a short drive from Charleston, Charlotte and Myrtle Beach. This makes it a great place to live for those who want to be close to all the action but still have the peace and quiet of a small town.
The real estate market in West Columbia is very strong. Homes here appreciate at a higher rate than the national average, so you can be sure that your investment will grow over time. There is also no state income tax in South Carolina, which means more money in your pocket each month.
If you are thinking about buying a home in West Columbia, now is a great time to do it. Prices are still relatively low, and there is a lot of opportunity for growth in this city. Contact a local real estate agent today to learn more about what West Columbia has to offer!