Ocean Isle Beach NC Historical Facts
The small coastal town of Ocean Isle Beach NC has a rich history that dates back centuries. From its indigenous roots to its age-old fishing industry, the area has seen many changes over the years. Many visitors to the area are unaware of the interesting facts and stories behind this vibrant beach community.
Ocean Isle Beach NC Historical Facts
Ocean Isle Beach is a beautiful, sandy beach located in southeastern North Carolina. The island was originally inhabited by the Waccamaw Indians, who called it "Waccamaw Island". In 1729, the first European settlers arrived on the island and established a small fishing village.
The village was destroyed during the American Revolution but rebuilt afterward. It flourished as a fishing community until the early 20th century when tourism began to take off. Today, Ocean Isle Beach is a popular vacation destination for families and couples alike.
Despite its modern-day popularity, many historical facts about Ocean Isle Beach are unknown to most people. Here are 5 interesting historical facts about this beautiful beach town:
1. The first European settlers to arrive on the island were from Scotland.
2. The original name of the island was "Waccamaw Island". It was named after the Native American tribe that lived there, the Waccamaw Indians.
3. The island was used as a base by both the British and American armies during the Revolutionary War.
4. In 1729, the first permanent European settlement was established on the island by Scottish fishermen.
5. The village of Ocean Isle was destroyed during the Revolutionary War but rebuilt afterward and flourished as a fishing community until the early 20th century when tourism began to take off.
Brunswick County Historical Facts
Brunswick County was established in 1764. It was named for the Royal House of Brunswick, which ruled Great Britain at the time. The county seat is Bolivia.
The first Europeans to settle in Brunswick County were the English, who came here in 1663. They were followed by the Scots, Irish, and Germans. Brunswick County was a part of the original colony of Carolina, which was chartered by King Charles II in 1663.
The county was divided into two parts in 1729, with the northern part becoming Bladen County and the southern part remaining Brunswick County.
Brunswick County was an important center of commerce and trade in colonial times. Its port city of Wilmington was one of the busiest ports on the East Coast. The Cape Fear River was used to transport lumber, rice, and other goods to other parts of North Carolina and to other colonies.
Brunswick County's economy began to decline in the early 1800s, however, when the state government decided to build its new capital city, Raleigh, inland instead of near the coast. This decision made Wilmington less important as a shipping center, and many businesses left for Raleigh or other cities.
Despite this economic setback, Brunswick County continued to grow and develop. Today it is home to over 107,000 people and is a popular tourist destination.
Fun Facts About Ocean Isle Beach NC
1. Ocean Isle Beach is named after the Isle of Wight, which is located off the coast of England.
2. The first recorded European explorer to visit the area was Giovanni da Verrazzano in 1524.
3. The first permanent settler on Ocean Isle Beach was John Blue, who arrived in 1727.
4. In 1761, the British Crown granted a charter to build a lighthouse on the island, which was completed in 1764.
5. Ocean Isle Beach was used as a filming location for the 1984 film Firestarter, starring Drew Barrymore.
6. Hurricane Hazel caused significant damage to the island in 1954, and it took several years for recovery efforts to be completed.
7. In recent years, Ocean Isle Beach has become a popular destination for tourists from all over the world seeking to enjoy its beautiful beaches and unique history.
As you can see, Ocean Isle Beach has a rich history dating back to the early 1800s. It's amazing to think about all the changes that have taken place on this small island over the years. From the first settlers to the present day, Ocean Isle Beach has been a popular destination for people looking to enjoy the sun and surf. We hope you've enjoyed learning about the history of this special place and we invite you to come and visit us soon!
Post a Comment